Sunday 6 April 2014

Film Review Divergent

Synopsis

In a world divided by factions based on virtues, Tris learns she's Divergent and won't fit in. When she discovers a plot to destroy Divergents, Tris and the mysterious Four must find out what makes Divergents dangerous before it's too late.


My Musings

I loved the Divergent books and honestly was a little dubious when I saw the trailer for the film although I was rather taken with Theo James playing Four. I just was relieved to see a classically good looking guy playing the hero for once!! The reviews that were coming it also did not seem to be blown away. WHY? 
The film is AMAZING!! 
I really loved it. 
First they do stick to the book as close as possible concerning Tris and Four but the secondary characters take more of a back seat and are not so emotionally charged. I also wonder if they subdued some of the story lines to get a younger rating. This is not a criticism as I realize to adapt a book sacrifices do get made. However the most important part of the book remains the same. Tris defecting to Dauntless knowing she is in danger by being a Divergent and her growing into a fighter and a warrior is brilliantly handled. Shailene plays Tris perfectly. She deliberately down plays her character to go under the radar so not as to be noticed by the authorities. Nobody really takes any notice of her except Four, her commander and teacher in Dauntless.
Theo James also captures Four as the cool but compassionate leader in Dauntless. Tris catches his eye and their growing relationship is so heart rending it takes your breath away. Their chemistry crackles and the odd touch and glance speaks volumes.
Funniest moment. Sitting in the full cinema surrounds by mostly girls there was a collective sigh when Mr James took his shirt off. Just saying.....

The action is fast paced and the music that accompanies it cleverly seems to be inspired by a train track really gets your adrenalin pumping. 

At over 2 hours the film whizzes by and I felt totally exhilarated when I left the cinema. Best film I've seen by far this year.
I cannot wait for Insurgent.

If you like this you might like 
Hunger Games
See my review on Hunger Games Catching Fire





No comments:

Post a Comment